Weekend Wrap-Up: Gettin' Fancy

Sunday, May 12, 2013


What a whirlwind weekend...it’s amazing to think so much excitement can fit into just 48 hours!  

First off, a very Happy Mother’s Day to all the momma’s out there!  I’m biased but I certainly hit the jackpot when it comes to having am awesome mom. 

I usually have blonde hair...but we look nothing alike, right? 
Where to begin?  My weekend routine usually begins with getting off work on Saturday morning at 7am and then driving to Nick’s to wake him up at 7:30 (he’s always thrilled...) because I’m already halfway to his house after work.  Much to my dismay, I was only able to grab a 2 hours of sleep that morning before we went off to the car dealership to look at a car for Nick (for more of why I don't sleep, check here).  I’m so proud of his first big purchase! Hopefully the next one will have a bit more sparkle to it...
Nick is nice enough to carry my bag in...even at 7:30 am
After car shopping, we went off in search of lunch and last minute Mother’s Day gifts.  I went with a classic gift of flowers and a card while Nick was much more thoughtful - Mrs. Nick’s Mom ended up with two hot pepper plants and some kitchen accessories.  Much more fun than my gift!
I can't believe they named a bell pepper plant after me!
After dinner at Nick’s house with his family, we decided to meet up with one of my best friends from school (M) who was visiting home (she had to move for work last year).  We ended up getting drinks at one of our favorite bars and then going to see The Great Gatsby.

I didn't even realize that was Isla Fisher...whoops! Source
As I remember it, I actually enjoyed reading The Great Gatsby in high school so I was really looking forward to the movie.  I wish I would’ve put in the time to reread the book over again before seeing the movie, though.  I had a hard time following what exactly was going on for the first half of it and then events, characters, and plot points started to ring a bell - I definitely don’t think it’s a movie you can truly enjoy without having read the book.  I think what I loved most about the film - other than Leo, of course - were the costumes and vivid settings.  Everything seemed so colorful and vibrant - very beautiful to watch!
After the movie, I was ready to crash.  The next morning, we had an early brunch with Nick’s family including both sets of grandparents.  As much as I wanted to enjoy this time, I had had far too little sleep and was feeling pretty cranky.  I did my best to conceal it but I was certainly ready to get home and take a little nap before dinner with my family.  

At 5 pm we had dinner reservations at a nice restaurant close to downtown Cincinnati for my mom, my aunt, my grandma, and myself.  It was nice to get all dolled up and spend some time with my family for once!  Right after dinner, I had to be back at work at 7pm which is where I find myself writing this post.  I’m counting down the hours until I can climb back in my tiny twin bed and take a good long sleep...

I want this pink light!  Pretty Mother's Day flowers...

My beautiful peppercorn crusted filet
I loved this  chandelier!
So as you can probably tell...there was a lot of eating out this weekend.  Like I’ve said in the past, weekends are hard but I think I’m doing much better.  I definitely sorta cut my alcohol intake and aside from the bag of buttered (read: delicious) popcorn I shared with Nick and M at the movies, I didn’t really snack or get too carried away.  At dinner tonight I ate about half of my meal and boxed up the rest (can't wait to put that steak on a salad!).  As a family, we shared a dessert four ways so that everyone was able to get a few delicious bites.  I definitely didn’t leave feeling stuffed or uncomfortable - just well satiated.  I think I’m learning that I tend to way overestimate the amount that I need or even want - I’m making it a goal to always leave something on my plate and it seems to be working well.
The problem with the weekend was that I didn’t get any running in and no workout besides the squat and pushup challenges (you can find the challenges on my Instagram!).  With all the other activities going on, I really didn’t have time to set aside for a run/walk and the subsequent shower/redoing hair and makeup - especially since I was not at my house.  This weekend was a bit of an anomaly since we had so much more going on than usual - next weekend will be better!

Tired and ready to go home!
So that’s my weekend in review!  The next few weeks are going to be fun and I can’t wait to write about them!  Nick and I have a new fun date in store this Saturday, the Tim McGraw concert on May 25th, and we’re running our first official timed 5K on June 1st.  Having things to look forward to definitely make my work days go quicker!

Hope you all had wonderful weekends! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram (hwhita), Twitter (@prettystrongmed), and Bloglovin' (prettystrongmed).  All the links are on the right hand side!

Questions:
Have you seen/read The Great Gatsby?  Thoughts?
How do you schedule activity into your weekends?

2 comments:

  1. wow! I bet you are ready for bed, what a fun and busy weekend! I've thought about going to see Great Gatsby but I can hardly remember the book. And girl, I went with the classic flowers and card Mothers Day gift too! But who doesn't love a bright bouquet of flowers?! Excited for you to see Tim McGraw in concert!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine!

      Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who went with the classic gift :)

      Hope you had a great weekend and I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

      Delete