Weigh In Wednesday: January 14

Wednesday, January 14, 2015




Anyone else tired of the cold yet? I am! It's been a very icy couple of days here in Indy but we made it through! I've already had my first exam of the semester - currently studying Dermatology which is actually turning into a review of a lot of systemic diseases we've learned that have cutaneous manifestations - Lupus, Diabetes, various infections, etc. Skin is a lot more exciting and complex than I expected it to be! Still, derm is not in my future. Dermatology is actually one of the most competitive specialties, which I can totally believe when I get my doctor bill in the mail. They have it MADE! Not a lot of derm emergencies out there so the lifestyle is prime. 

Anywho, things are going well on my side of the Internet. Getting back into the swing of school has been challenging but still doable. Obviously it's hard to go from being lazy on break to studying and managing my time but I've been doing it!

I finished my first week of Crossfit but man was I super sore! Like I'm kind of embarrassed with how sore my abs and shoulders were for nearly a week. I'm sure it was a combination of not working those areas for a while and just doing NEW movements but still. The WODs (workout of the day) we have been doing have been a lot shorter than what I typically see for the "regular" class. 

People talk about how Crossfit teaches bad form or encourages extreme exercise/disorder but that really hasn't been my experience thus far. The box I'm checking out has a month long on-ramp class where we've been learning all the essential movements. They told us from the get-go that good form and functional movement are MUCH more important that just finishing the workout at all costs. When your form starts to suffer, you need to scale the workout appropriately (decrease weight, take a break, modify the movement). It was really encouraging to hear this and realize this method can be used for people of all fitness levels



 In addition to Week 2 of Crossfit, I'm also starting my half marathon training this week.  Last night was my first "easy" run - just a 5K. LOL at that. I remember when running a mile was a struggle not too long ago. To this day, the first mile is always the hardest no matter how long I run but once you get in the zone, its pure gold. 

According to my Nike+ app, this was my first run since Thanksgiving that was over 1-2 miles. Whoops. To me that just proves that running is like 90% mental -- I've been struggling along telling myself I need to walk when really all I needed to do was push myself a little more. Boom. 3 miles at a respectable pace! 

For the record, tomorrow I'm going to post about my half training schedule and my upcoming races! I feel like it warrants it's own post :)

My nutrition has done a 180 since Christmas Break. We've really been trying to load our meals with tons of vegetables and fruits. We ate all our meals at home last weekend which was a first. Usually we go out to dinner on Friday or Saturday nights.  

Recently I made some Chicken "Zoodle" Soup - subbing typical noodles for zucchini. Hands down the best chicken noodle soup - better than from a can!




I still make room for some treats like this yummy dark chocolate. Sometimes I top it with a little nut butter or a handful of almonds/cashews. 

I also made some bison stuffed peppers soup yesterday - I'm anxious to have some for dinner tonight! We basically thrive on leftovers - I make a large portion of chili/soup/meat & veggies so that we have something to take for lunch! 


As far as weight loss goes, the scale is slowly moving. Part of the reason that it's moving so slowly is the Crossfit. When I start lifting, the scale doesn't budge as much due to the inflammation (soreness/muscle tissue damage). When I do mostly cardio, my weight changes much quicker initially. I'm trying to stick it out and not get discouraged becauses it's only temporary. Despite the scale not going down as much, I feel my body tightening up a bit and feeling stronger!

Height: 5'8"
SW: 236.2
Last Week: 201.4
This week: 198.4
Change: -3.0
Total Loss: -37.8

Onward and upward. My 25th birthday is in two weeks so the vane side of me has a number in my head I would like to reach before then {189}. In all reality, I know it's a long shot and it shouldn't been my focus but it's still interesting to think about :) 

Finally, I'm not sure if you're allowed to celebrate dating anniversaries once you get married but today is our 8 year dating anniversary! 8 years ago tonight this sweet guy asked me to be his girlfriend after months of flirting and nightly phone calls. Numerous proms and school dances later, we went off to IU together and the rest is history! 


It's mid-January. How are you doing on your goals? 

*Side note* Make sure you are hopping around and checking out each other's posts! I'm going to make a very concious effort to do better at this myself! It's all about positivity and encouragement!

8 comments:

  1. That is a pretty impressive loss! Great job going to crossfit! There is a crossfit gym here in my town and I've been afraid to try it. A trial class would be great. I'm all for celebrating anything, so celebrate your dating anniversary. After all, its what led you to marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, love should always be celebrated :) Your wedding picture is so sweet. Dermatology emergencies made me laugh....I have had a terribly itchy spot on my hand for months and keep putting off going to the doctor. You are off to a great start for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chicken Zoodle Soup looks delicious! I might have to give it a whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Date-iversiary with an awesome loss to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love leftovers! It is so nice to be able to eat a real meal without have to go through the prep and cooking at every meal time. Now I just need to get over my aversion to grocery shopping and actually taking the time to cook once/twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been married for 23 years and yes, we still "celebrate" the date of our first date. When I say celebrate, I just mean that we remember it, there is no "celebration", per se, but still, it's fun to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and congrats on seeing the scale go down after all your hard work! Onederland!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete