Weigh In Wednesday - January 28

Wednesday, January 28, 2015





Hello friends! I'm having a slower start to the morning today after my exam on Monday. Yesterday we started our Behavioral Medicine block which I'm pretty excited for - Psych has always been a love a mine! 

Weighing in today, things are moving slowly but steadily.

Height: 5'8"
SW: 236.2
Last Week: 198.0
This week: 197.0
Change: -1.0
Total Loss: -39.2

I'm a little frustrated since I have been working out consistently. The problem is, because my Crossfit class is a beginner class and focused mainly on technique, we do stand around A LOT. I'm definitely not working out for an hour (more like 15-20 minutes) which means I really could go to the gym afterwards to get my full amount of activity. Ummm...and of course you can't outtrain a bad diet. In  I got lazy a few times this week and made some not so healthy options like post-exam brunch (that toast is HUGE) and Wendy's after my dentist appointment. 

I also need to watch all the "hidden" calories in my food. Like adding a little cheese to my eggs or BBQ sauce to my chicken. All those things add up over the day and I don't always record them in MFP. I definitely need to tighten things up and start meal prepping again! This leads me to my next announcement...

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you know that I recently committed to do a round of Whole 30 starting THIS Sunday, February 1 running until March 1. 



I created a private Facebook group for anyone that is interested in joining me - we have about 15 people so far! If you are interested in Whole 30, shoot me an email and I will add you to the group/send your more information.

Whole 30 is something I've been wanting to try for a long time but it never seems like the "right time." Then I saw one of my favorite bloggers, Andrea @ A Doctor in the House, was doing it while in RESIDENCY. No excuses there! I have way more free time than a resident, that's for sure! 

I'm not going into Whole 30 with the goal of losing a bunch of weight. Weight loss is certainly something I hope happens, kind of like when I did the Advocare challenge. It really jumpstarted my weight loss and helped me gain confidence. This challenge is more about helping myself function at 110% and feel amazing! Lately I feel like my skin is looking dull and breaking out more. I'm also having more frequent tummy issues. Most of all, my energy and especially my mood have been suffering. I think a lot of this is due to the winter blues but I also think my diet could be contributing to the problem. Ever since I added dairy and especially grains back into my diet, my symptoms has gotten worse. Add in alcohol and sugar, then it's clear why things aren't getting better. 

Basically, I'm just looking forward to hitting the reset button and seeing how my body responds to whole, real foods. I've heard SO many wonderful things about Whole 30 and I'm hoping it works for me, as well!


I'm excited to try new recipes and step up our culinary game! Nick has said he will give it a try with me so I hope having his support will make this just a tiny bit easier. I love that he is willing to put up with all my crazy ideas :)

One thing I'm not too excited about is taking out most legumes. I've read "It Starts With Food" (which is what the program is based on) so I understand the scientific reasoning but I'm not sure it's compelling enough for me. Still worth a shot but I'm going to miss beans in my chili! 

If this peaks your interest at all, shoot me an email! I'd love to have you in our group for support, recipe swaps, and maybe some new friends! 

Any suggestions for Whole 30? Have you done it before? 


13 comments:

  1. I've thought about doing the Whole 30 before but it's the taking out of the legumes that keeps me away. I don't like taking healthy things out of my diet when I already have a hard enough time staying away from candy, fast food, etc.I bet it will be great for you though. And great job on the 1lb weight loss! It may only be one pound but the scale is still going down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend getting on pinterest and pinning some recipes so you have some easy to go ideas. I also would get a veggie spiralizer. I LOVE MINE! I've been making zucchini noodles once or twice a week and they're so delicious and easy. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the Whole 30 group! The no legume part has me worried too. Those are typical go to healthy options for me, so it's going to be hard to cut them out. I'm excited to try this whole 30 thing out. Nervous but excited. I just keep telling myself that it is only for a month. I can have legumes next month if I want them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the loss this week! Good luck with Whole 30. How awesome are you to make a group for others to do it with you?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Amy! I need the support - Whole 30 is too intense to not have people to do it with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand that! I'm interested to see if taking legumes out will help me or not - there are something I anticipate adding back to my diet once the Whole 30 is over but we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! I love my vegetti! Zoodles are the best but I'm excited to branch out and try some other veggies! I've been pinning recipes for a few months now so hopefully I won't get bored! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to have you on board! Can't wait to get to know you better


    Life without legumes...I'm not happy that I have a huge jar of peanut butter (actually two...) that I can't touch for a month but oh well. Plus all the beans I have in my pantry. It's just a month - we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Andrea! I can't wait to try some of the recipes you posted during your Whole 30! Those pesto meatballs are calling my name :)

    ReplyDelete