Weigh In Wednesday: August 7

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Weigh IN Wednesday



Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!

Please go check out my sweet co-hosts & make sure to say hi!

Bailey @ Being Bailey J
Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

Morning Weigh In: I finally broke through my plateau!!!! Overall I had a -1.5 lb loss but I've been so up and down the past month & a half, gaining and losing the same 5 lbs, that it's probably more like 6 lbs depending on what day I weigh myself. (I guess I'm still a little attached to the scale).

All I can say is, thank goodness. I was starting to think I'd never see the other side. Now for the fun stuff...  

I am all moved into my med school apartment and orientation starts today! I'm so excited to start this new journey and to share it with all of you! 

My Indiana corner of my desk!
Our living room!

More living room!
Bathroom - very important!
Last night my roommate and I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony for our brand new medical & nursing building. It felt so grown up! Our building is absolutely fantastic and it was so exciting to see how receptive and supportive the university and the community in Indiana are to our school!


I thought getting adjusted to a new city, new roommate, and new surroundings would be pretty tough. I thought I would be sad about leaving home but I've been okay (still a little sad). I had my big breakdown as we were loading all my stuff into the truck and I've been fine since. I'll miss my family, especially Nick but I'm going to be so busy that I won't have time to dwell as much as I expected.

I'm already finding my groove here. Our school gym is literally a minute away from my apartment and on the way back from classes. I will probably start a routine of heading straight to the gym after class so I don't have time to sit down and talk myself out of it! 

Yesterday I got two workouts in - I ran/walked 3 miles and gymed it with my roommate. Yes, I had to run/walk again which disappointed me a bit. I'm on a mission to find good running spots here in Indy because my campus just isn't going to cut it. I need trails and paths! As for the gym, I did some dreadmill running and tried about the weight training equipment after every 0.5 mile - no one was at the gym, it was awesome! I admit that I felt a little  lot lost being back in a gym setting - my old gym membership expired months ago so I've been relying on running, yoga, and boot camp for my workouts. I have to get a gym plan so I don't walk around aimlessly all the time :)

I also made sure to stock my fridge with healthy items, thus forcing myself to make good choices. Lucky for me we live in a fast food desert near campus. Even grocery stores are a bit of a drive so there's no real advantage to grab fast good after class when I'm hungry - I still have a long drive and I can easily cook something faster/cheaper/healthier. We'll see if that mentality changes during exam week :/

My first med school dinner - tofu scramble!
I feel like my weight loss is really going to take off being in this environment. A lot of my classmates are very active - lots of runners, weight lifters, etc. so I'm hoping that continues to rub off! I'm sure once classes start and I have my nose to the grindstone, taking care of myself will get harder and harder but I have to make time for it!

How does your schedule change with classes starting?
Any gym routines you suggest? (I'm thinking Jamie Eason's 12 week challenge)
How did your week go? Non-scale victories?

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Blogilates (www.blogilates.com). She has such a positive energy, and she makes printables you can take with you to the gym, and a lot of stuff you can just do at home! She has really good challenges and meal plans too. I have a hard time sticking to 40+ day challenges and such (let's be real: even 14 days is tough for me!), so I like her quick videos that I can squeeze in here and there even if I can't work out for 1+ hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you lived in Indiana. Hello fellow Hoosier lol

    Gosh, I sure do miss school. Hopefully once all my girls are in school full time, I can start again. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your apartment is so cozy and with a gym nearby and junk food far away you have a great environment to meet your weight loss goals! Good luck with classes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a great plan. Looking back when I lived an aparment complex I had 100% total access to a semi-nice gym for free. Guess what, I NEVER NOT EVEN ONCE stepped foot in there. What was wrong with me? lol.... oh well. Congrats on pulling through the plateau and best wishes on the new life in a new city and new school.. Sounds like lots of great new beginnings for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is awesome that you are starting things off right at school. The way you begin often sets the tone for the rest of your time there! Stay strong! Also, congrats on breaking the plateau! It is hard to keep pushing when you hit one but OH so worth it once you are past it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin @ She's a big starAugust 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

    Your apartment is super cute! Glad you're getting settled and into a routine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the weight! It's so tough to break the plateau. And have fun at orientation! I'm sure it'll be a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay congrats- that is so awesome!!! and love the apt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather! I just found your blog from Helene's and am so glad I did! Not only and I a super girly girl like you, and have a passion for health and wellness (I'm studying to be a dietitian) but I just moved 17 hours to be with my boyfriend as he starts his first year of medical school! I can't wait to follow along and pass along any tips you share! So glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I broke a plateau this week too... such a wonderful feeling! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tis the month for plateau breaking! Love the Paris theme in your living room.

    ReplyDelete