Weigh In Wednesday: January 1 & Goals for 2014

Wednesday, January 1, 2014


Weigh IN Wednesday


Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!
Please go check out my sweet co-host!

Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

If you're new to the link-up, please leave a comment & say hi!


Happy New Year!

I do not like that 2014 starts in the middle of the week. There is something about starting the year off on a Sunday or Monday that feels more motivating. As such, I'm not "officially" starting to measure my progress until Monday Jan. 6. I need to move back to school, enjoy a weekend in Bloomington, and get settled before I go HAM on these goals.

I didn't weigh in today. Frankly, I forgot it was Wednesday and I was feeling umm....peaked this morning. 

Every single year I feel like I start with the same goal: lose X amount of pounds. Basically this goal is always so vague and so open ended with little to no thought or planning that I usually lose interest or give up.

Of course I still have that magic number in my head but saying "I'll lose 50 pounds this year" NEVER works. What's motivating about a number? It doesn't mean I'm any healthier or happier or able to run longer. It's just a number. 

This year, I want to do things differently. 

I don't want to define my year by a certain number of pounds to lose or some vague unattainable concept. Instead, I'm choosing a theme to incorporate in my life & choosing some specific goals so reach for.

2014 is going to be the year of STRENGTH and GRATITUDE. 

I think by challenging myself physically, mentally, and spiritually, I will continue to grow stronger in all areas of my life. I am capable of more than I know so it's time to get out of that comfort zone! 

I also have so much to be thankful for in my life. I think by focusing on all the great things in my life, I will stay humbled and happier during this stressful time instead of complaining and being a grump.

Goals for 2014:
1. Volunteer somewhere meaningful to me in Indianapolis
2. Continue to be active within school organizations.
3. Finish my half marathon. 
4. Stay focused on WHY we're getting married & not get caught up in the details.
5. Get some type of physical activity daily.
6. Focus on learning because I want to be a good physician, not because I want a certain grade.
7. Make an effort to call my family & friends more often.
8. Blog three times a week.
9. Reflect daily on the things I am grateful for, the progress I've made, and the tasks that still need to be completed.

I will try to do a monthly check in on these goals to see how I'm doing! 

Tomorrow I'll talk more about my training schedule and dietary changes I'll be making this year!  I'll also have some WEDDING updates!

Best of luck with your goals for 2014! 
What will be the highlight of your year? 
What will be the hardest part of 2014?

2 comments: