Vega Bar Review

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

***Disclaimer: The following post is a review for Vega Bars. I was given the opportunity to participate in this review through my Sweat Pink ambassadorship and was provided with several bars to try out for this purpose.  I received no other compensation for this review and the opinions expressed in this blog about this product are 100% my own honest, unbiased opinion.***


Recently I was given the great opportunity to review the new line of Vega nutrition bars! I've tried the Vega protein powders several times now and I'm a big fan. Now I'm just trying to figure out which flavor I want to invest in.



Nutrition bars are a great option for when you're on the go or super busy like me. I'm not always prepared when hunger strikes in the middle of a lecture or study session so I need something that I can carry with me at all times and quickly pull out of my bag - enter Vega bars!  



It's really hard to find a protein source that is "clean" - meaning it contains very no processed or artificial ingredients. The closer to the earth your food is, the better! While  the Vega bars do contain more ingredients than I would prefer, they are a pretty great option compared to other bars.  I love that all of their bars are non-GMO, gluten free, and contain plant-based protein. 

Vega is releasing four sets of bars:
The Vega Snack bar was one of my favorites - I tried the Dark Chocolate Mixed Nuts and Sea Salt & the Cranberry Almond flavors. Both bars featured that coveted salty-sweet mixture that I love in a snack - it satisfies my sweet tooth and also provided protein and crunch. I would highly recommend these bars for a mid-afternoon snack to power through the work day.


Vega Sport Protein was also another great bar from Vega! Often times protein bars taste artificial - the sweeteners they use are very pungent and the protein itself tastes terrible. Not here - I love the texture of this bar! It's very smooth and reminds me of homemade cookie dough. I tried the Chocolate Coconut and the Chocolate Mint - mint is my favorite and almost reminded me of a chewy thin mint cookie!


Vega Sport Energy is suggested for use mid-workout. It's mostly composed of nuts and fruit to provide quick energy. Personally I don't eat during workouts - during long runs I use gels because I'm not comfortable chewing while running and I don't usually need fuel during a workout.  I used this bar as another snack option before or after a workout. Chocolate Coconut Almond and Cherry Almond were the flavors I tried and both were equally delicious! I love fruit and nut bars because they are simple and don't have a bunch of extra ingredients. They are also moist and chewy which is a nice texture difference compared to your standard nutrition bar.


Vega One is an all-in-one meal bar. I tried Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cherry Almond. This bar had the longest list of ingredients by far and was pretty high in calories - 270 calories - which makes sense as it replaces a meal.  I wasn't a big fan of these bars because they were more dense and tasted like a typical meal replacement bar. I don't like to replace meals with bars or shakes - I end up feeling hungry quicker and unsatisfied. Just a personal preference!


Overall Opinion

Pros: I love that the bars are non-GMO, gluten free, and plant-based. All of the flavors were delicious! I've had a positive experience with the protein powder so I trust the company and enjoy their products!

Cons: I wasn't a fan of the Vega One bar but I don't ever use bars for meal replacements because it doesn't fill me up. I also think there is a significant amount of refined sugar and processed ingredients in the bars. I've seen cleaner versions. I also have no experience with the old product to compare the two.

I enjoyed reviewing the Vega Bars and I would probably purchase them down the road if I saw them in stores. They are perfect for a quick snack or workout recovery and taste delicious but I am hesitant about the extra sugar even if it is organic. My favorite bars were the Vega Energy Protein and the Vega Snack bars!  

No comments:

Post a Comment