Challenge: Virtual Turkey Day 5k 2014

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

How many of you are looking forward to Thanksgiving? *raises hand* What's not to love about getting together with family, sharing a delicious meal (or in my case, two or three meals), watching some football, and collapsing into a food coma on the couch?  

While a lot of that sounds enticing, I always dread that over-full feeling during Thanksgiving. It's not that I feel "guilty" or upset with myself, it's more than I know a day filled with extreme indulgences tends to lead to me getting sidetracked from my goals. 

I'm so excited to announce that Ashlee, Erin, and I will be hosting a *virtual* Turkey Day 5K this Thanksgiving - that's November 27! Below are the "rules."


Rules are pretty simple:
  • Get moving on Thanksgiving! 
  • Complete a 5k (3.1 miles) on Thanksgiving Day. You can run, walk, jog, or crawl - outside or on the treadmill. Whatever works for you!
  • Take a selfie (or have a friend take it) for sweaty proof. 
  • Post the photo (you can get creative with a collage if you want) to Instagram with the hashtag #WIWturkeyday5k and tag the three of us (Ash, Heather, & Erin)
  • Bonus: You can get a bonus entry in the giveaway if you do a 5k on Friday as well - before or after shopping :)  
We are currently working to get a nice little prize pack for a lucky participant! Not only will you be making positive changes, but you could also win some goodies, too.

For me, this challenge isn't about guilt or an "eat it, now negate it" mentality (although if that works for you, go for it). It's about creating balance and keeping your health goals in the forefront of your mind.

Holidays can be stressful! What better way to counteract the stress than by getting your body moving? You'll be filled with energy, ready to play with your kids or cook a delicious meal. Maybe that energy will spill over into making time to volunteer or share your meal with someone in need. The possibilities are endless! 

As for me, I'll be participating in the Thanksgiving Day Race 10K in Cincinnati that morning. I'm so looking forward to *hopefully* beating my time from last year! 

Last years' race...pretty sure that jacket actually fits now :P

We challenge YOU to get moving this Thanksgiving (and Black Friday!). I hope you will challenge your friends, family, co-workers, etc. Let's make this our most active Thanksgiving yet!

Will you be participating in our Virtual Turkey Day 5k? What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

  1. I might be walking 5K around the kitchen with prepping our dinner (yes a big meal for just my husband and I with a whole turkey). Would that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in for the 5k, I couldn't afford the actual race in my town so this free one I can afford :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in!! 3.1 miles will be the perfect start to Thanksgiving :) Excited about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it's not my Thanksgiving, I will try and participate!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is a really good idea. I don't know if I will run a 5K because of my other training plans but maybe I'll walk a 5K in addition to my other workouts. I don't know. I think I might make that a goal. :)

    ReplyDelete