Race Recap: Race For A Cure 5K & A Long Run

Friday, April 18, 2014

I meant to write this post a few days ago because I wanted to recap how running has been going lately! I've been getting my miles in and I'm slowly starting to feel more confident about my mini coming up. I do wish I had waited to sign up for the Indianapolis Mini because it seems like a quarter of my classmates are running it but instead I went for the Flying Pig Half Marathon in Cincinnati - can you say hills on hills on hills? 

I've been training in Indianapolis which means most of my training has been flat - at least in respect to Cincy - the City of Seven Hills! It will definitely be a challenge but I'm going to do it!



I'm also toying with signing up for the Indianapolis Women's Half on June 6th - about a month after the Flying Pig and a week before the wedding. I read somewhere that if you are training for a mini or a marathon, you might as well sign up for another one since you'll already be conditioned for it. I'm going to see how my first one goes and then sign up if I'm still alive (I will be).

Honestly, it isn't the distance that is scary anymore. It's the part when I STOP running and my body figures out what I just put it through. Last week I did 8.25 miles which wasn't horrible. As soon as I started walking though, I started to get a little nauseous and my legs were very unhappy. I proceeded to take a warm bath and eat a snack which made me feel TONS better. I wasn't nearly as sore as I thought I would be the next day thanks to some foam rollin'  




Snack time!

If there's one tip I can provide as a newbie to running: make sure you are cross training!  Just do something other than running. Strength training and interval training has made all the difference for me - both physically and mentally. I feel more empowered when I challenge my body in ways other than running.  


Running is definitely hard and makes me feel accomplished but there is something about lifting weights that really kicks it up a notch for me.  Maybe it's because I'm starting to shed the self-conscious attitude at the gym - I hate knowing that people can watch me!  I wish I could workout in my own private gym. Hey Heather, care LESS. 

Nice BR shot.
On to the recap!  

Last Saturday morning, I ran the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure 5K with my med school team members! Thanks to some very generous family members, I was able to exceed my fundraising goal of $250 which was very exciting! 

I love charity races and this one was particularly special because there were so many cancer survivors participating and many family members dedicating their walk/run to affected friends/family! 

As far as the run part went, it felt quick! I remember running my first 5K last June and having to stop to walk because I burned myself out too quickly. I'm getting much better at pacing myself and ignoring the other people around me.  Just run. 

I was thankful that the course did have a few hills - I need the practice! As I neared the finish line, I was surprised that I wanted to keep running - the course just felt too short. What a stark contrast to where I was last year when 3 miles seemed impossible... 


My unofficial time - 33:15. I think it was more like 34:00 because I started my app late. We underestimated the time it would take to get to the start line from where we decided to meet so I ended up sprinting to the start and weaving in between all the walkers - this event was MASSIVE! I really want to buy a GPS watch to I'll have something more reliable to train with! 

The best part about the race? CHOCOLATE MILK at the end! I'm obsessed with Kroger chocolate milk but since I don't usually eat dairy these days, I never buy it. I was one happy camper!



After the race, Nick and I headed to Bloomington to enjoy the beautiful spring weather and check out the Bloomington Craft Beer Festival - craft beer from all over the state of Indiana. (including my new favorite - Three Floyd's that my dear friend and MOH introduced me to in Munster, IN).  


The event was being held in an old mill close to the Indiana quarries (Indiana is well-known for their limestone quarries). I love industrial spaces like this so it was super cool just to be there and walk around! 


We also made a quick visit to our favorite Bloomington spot - Nick's!



Empty tasting glass! (Nick hates that face).




I thought those letters were the coolest and then I found out they used to be on the old Bloomington Hospital before it was bought by IU Health and the name was changed! 

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you already know how nostalgic/ warm & fuzzy I get about Indiana, Bloomington, and my college years. I swear there is something special about B-Town. I love it! I get so happy going to visit - especially during the spring and fall. I'm getting all teary-eyed just thinking about it!  

And that's that! A quick visit and it was back to the books. I managed to get a workout in before we left the next morning so I think I balanced the trip out nicely.  

What's next on the running agenda? Two more long runs - 10 miles & 11 miles (plus my shorter training runs). And another 5K.


My school is sponsoring this 5K next weekend which several of us will be running! Then it's taper week and the big half marathon!  I can't believe it is so close!

Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!





No comments:

Post a Comment