Weigh In Wednesday April 16

Wednesday, April 16, 2014




Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!
Please go check out my sweet co-hosts!

Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

AND... Erin @ She's A Big Star
I'm so excited to have Erin hosting with us again!  About a year ago Erin decided to hand over the reigns of this link up to Ash & I  (any Amy & Bailey). I was totally new to the blog world and had no idea what I was doing - I am so thankful to her for giving us this opportunity. Go check her out!

If you're new to the link-up, please leave a comment & say hi!


No November Project this morning. :( I stayed at school too late studying so I chose sleep. Many people in graduate school (and in general, especially the fitness world) glorifying how sleep-deprivation as if it is a badge of honor. As if by choosing to workout or study or work over an hour of sleep makes you stronger or more motivated.

I am not one of those people. Everyone needs sleep - you are not weak or lazy if you decide to sleep instead of waking up early to workout. What good is your body to you if it isn't rested and recharged?  See this article & a million more for why!

Last year when I was working nights and getting about 4-5 hours of sleep during the day, I learned that I do not function well. Sure, I can handle that level of sleep for a few days but by the end of the week, I'm sluggish. I'm depressed. I'm grumpy. I have trouble losing weight! All of these are reasons why I chose sleep when I'm too tired to study or roll out of bed at 5:30 am to go to the gym. 

That's not to say you shouldn't push yourself out of your comfort zone.  If you need to wake up early in order to squeeze in a workout, go to bed earlier. SLEEP!!! //off soap box

Weighing In
Height: 5'8"
SW: 236.2
Last week: 208
This week: 207.4
Loss: -0.6
Total Loss: -28.8


Not much change this week. I swear my scale won't go below 207. I'm going to prove it wrong this week. I will see 205. I will. And then I'm gonna see 199. 

I'm on this cycle of really great eating and working out all week and then going HAM on the weekends. Temptations are everywhere and it makes me really mad when other people can just eat whatever they want! No fair :(

On top of my inability to control my splurges, I haven't had a quiet weekend in so long where I can just study and not go out to with friends and just focus on what needs to be done. I thought that would be this weekend and then I remembered it is Easter.  I usually look forward to going home but now I feel like my studying is piling up, I need to get some solid runs in, and I need to organize my life! HELP!

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Just wanted to do a quick WIW today because there is so much to do today! 


I also wanted to say that it isn't too late to sign up for our DietBet! We're only three days in and the pot is up to $1525! Keep sharing with friends and join up if you want a spring challenge to propel you into summer!

Do you have Easter/fun plans this weekend? 



18 comments:

  1. So I'm pretty sure our scales are in on some master scheme to not move in the right direction. I haven't seen below 205 in a LONG time. I'm going to blame the scale because it couldn't possibly be my fault, right? But we're going to show those scales who's boss! 199 is calling our names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is my first time here. I am excited to be participating in the Wednesday Weigh-In! I love your site! I stayed the same this week, so we will see what the next week brings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "On top of my inability to control my splurges, I haven't had a quiet weekend in so long where I can just study and not go out to with friends and just focus on what needs to be done."

    That is YOUR decision to go out with friends. No one is forcing you to go, I think you just need to be more strict about what you really want to accomplish. If you want "life balance", then fine. But if your work is piling up, then maybe "balance" isn't the goal at this point...it's getting back on track at school! That means putting aside things like going out, and even celebrating Easter, so you aren't so stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll get there! It's not my scale, it's definitely me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to have you with us, Leslie! Much luck on a successful week. Take it one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough to hear but you are certainly right. I absolutely know I need to be more strict with myself! The problem I face is trying override a lifetime of bad habits - school coming easy to me/not having good study habits, stress eating, and procrastination. I'm trying to make those changes but when you add wedding planning, a long distance engagement, and all of my other obligations, it feels a lot like "one step forward, two steps back," even when I am making small progress. This is all completely manageable, I just do not hold myself accountable all the time.


    Thank you for your feedback and for calling me out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any loss is a good loss! We don't do anything for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand what you are saying, but again, no one forced you to get engaged/married in the midst of a huge transition to med school, no one forced you to go to med school before you were ready (you could have done an SMP or something to improve your study habits), the list goes on. It's hard to believe that you weren't aware of these challenges you were going to be facing, so hopefully you'll make decisions from here on out that make things easier on yourself, not harder. Keep trying and don't give up, you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean "it's hard to believe that you weren't aware of these challenges you were going to be facing...?" Being "aware" and actually experiencing something are two totally different beasts. I didn't just wake up one day and decide to go to medical school. I worked long and hard to reach a goal I set for myself when I was a little kid. I was well-aware of the implications of my decision. As for marriage, no one forced me to get married in medical school but that's what we wanted to do. That's when the timing was right for us.


    According to you, because I'm aware medical school is hard, I should choose not to get married right now? Wrong. My education is very important to me but my life choices cannot revolve solely around school - there are other factors in play and quite frankly, life is too short. I don't see why an SMP would've been necessary when I received multiple acceptances. No use in racking up useless debt, IMHO. I'm happy where I am and I do relatively well.



    I am allowed to be stressed by everything happening in my life - pure and simply, I'm stressed. A lot of it is my own fault, some of it isn't. That doesn't mean I wasn't prepared for this life or I wasn't ready to take on the challenge. It means sometimes things are hard and I'm relating that hardness via my blog because this is real life.


    I appreciate that you value a strong work ethic and have a "no excuses" type of attitude. That's great! I just feel you are coming off as abrasive and making quick judgements when you only see the small subset of my life that I choose to share here. There is more to my story than I will ever share here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since it's your choice to write on a public blog (and my choice to read it), it shouldn't come as a surprise for you to receive commentary. Feedback isn't always happy rainbows and butterflies. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to thank you, Ash, and Erin for hosting this every week. I always look forward to it, and it's so motivational!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weight loss is a slow process and you don't need to beat yourself up about it! It's so hard to begin with, and you are in a tough spot! Being in medical school is a huge accomplishment and a ton of work! Getting organized and planning ahead for food is so important, and the only way I do it is with a lot of help from a husband who helps with food. And since I told my friends how important weight loss is to me, we meet up to walk at Greenways, get small dishes of Fro-Yo, etc, instead of HH's. That was a huge transition for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, it's a loss! I'll take a loss over a gain any day! I was stuck at 204 forever! You'll get there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @disqus_WYqc6UdbGR - it's easy to sit behind the computer and pass judgement on people you don't know isn't it - kind of like a bully??

    Heather - you are an awesome, beautiful youg lady and we appreciate you sharing your life and struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Sarah! I appreciate your understanding and positivity. Once my fiance moves to Indianapolis, I think all the stress will die down a lot and I'll have someone to help with meal planning and keeping me on track :)
    Thanks again for the encouragement, I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm new to the link up but I've been MIA for a long time -- so Hi!
    My scale didn't want to move past 207 for a long time either but then it did and then I saw 199 and then 189! Keep at it, you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete