Training Diary Monday #1

Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Monday! So I decided to start sharing my workouts on a regular basis. We'll see how this goes. I'm not sure how interesting it is to read what other people do but at the very least, it could keep me more accountable! 

Currently I keep track of my workouts with my phone. My Garmin watch is set up to sync with my Nike+ app so all my runs are recorded there. In addition, my Crossfit gym uses an app called Wodify that displays the WOD (workout of the day) and allows your to track your progress - weight, times, etc. and see how you stack up against other people who completed the same workout. I love it! 

Monday - Gym 
Just went to our regular gym today. We still keep my old membership because it's only like $17 for a second person. I only pay for three days of Crossfit a week anyway. I'm not sure I could handle more than that at this point. Plus I really like to switch things up :)

I don't have a specific plan that I follow lately at the gym. Whatever I feel like I need to work on is what I work on. I do want to find a lifting/HIIT routine that compliments my Crossfit workouts. Anyone have ideas? 

I warmed up on the stair master for 10 minutes and then got to work. Shoulder & back. A little more cardio (rowing, I think) and then some PT exercises and stretching.

Tuesday - Crossfit 12-1p
A1: Thruster (6-5-4-4; rest 1 min) - (95 lbs)
A2 : Pull-ups (AMRAP in 60sec x 4; rest 1 min) - scaled to ring rows
B: Single Arm KB Overhead Walking Lunge (10/side x 3; rest 1 min)

WOD: CrossFit Games Open 12.1 (AMRAP - Reps)
7-Minute AMRAP of:
Burpees to a 6" target (63 reps)

So Crossfit usually goes as follows: warm up, review the movements for the day, strength workout (A1/A2, B1, etc), and then a Met Con workout.

Wednesday - Crossfit 6-7p
A1: Romanian Deadlift (@32x1; 4-4-4-4; rest 90 sec)
A2: Glute-Ham Raises (4 x 8; rest 90 sec)

WOD: Metcon (Time)
3 Rounds for time:
400m Run
21 KBS 32/24kg
12 T2B

Thursday - Crossfit 6-7p
A1: Dumbbell Front Rack Russian Step Ups (8/leg x 4; rest 90 sec)
A2: Pendlay Row (@20x1; 8-10 x 4; rest 90 sec)

WOD: Metcon (Time)
For Time:
30-20-10
Air Squat
Push Up
Pull Up

Friday - Gym
Again, I just worked on what felt right. I've been practicing double under with the jump rope and also starting some pull up progressions. Both are future goals of mine - double under & pull-ups!

I also did the following:

AMRAP 10 minutes with 55#
5 push press
10 deadlifts
15 step ups

I've done this one twice before and have improved by 77 reps since last summer! Today was 9 rounds + 3 reps. 


Saturday - 4 mile Run
The weather was gorgeous, just a bit windy so I got a nice 4 mile run in after a morning of studying. Ideally, I need to get another run or two in during the week - probably after a Crossfit workout because I don't always get a good cardio burn from those workouts. Sometimes they are more strength focused and I'm like, "where's the cardio?" 


Sunday - 8 mile Run


Sunday was also a beautiful day and not windy at all! I cranked out 8 miles at a slower pace than normal - partly because I took a little detour to explore a new trail. 8 miles felt so much better this time around than it did this time last year. I remember my 8 mile run from last year because I collapsed on my living room floor immediately afterward and proceeded to take a painfully cold ice bath.

I did notice that I felt a little nauseous following my run yesterday which I attribute to not eating a proper dinner and taking a gel before the run started. I think I need to experiment with different quick carb fuels prior to my half - I'm gonna try baby food/applesauce or maybe salty pretzels. I know a long distance runner who even uses Oreos! 



So that's my week at a glance. Going forward, I want to get ALL my training runs in during the week and just focus on being efficient. I've found that it's much easier for me to get into the habit of doing SOME type of activity daily instead of picking a choosing which days to do what. Just get to the gym and MOVE - especially because boards studying has me sitting CONSTANTLY. 

As I said above, I'm on the look out for a program to follow on my gym days. I'm also looking forward to the end of half training - I want to run again for FUN instead of for specific mileage. 

Regardless, I'm happy to report that my back is really doing well - just some mild soreness and stiffness. The weather is looking great and I'm feeling stronger/more energized.  Here's to a great week ahead!







No comments:

Post a Comment