Friday Five Things - July 25

Friday, July 25, 2014




1. Fitness
It's Day 5 of our Midsummer Shape Up Challenge - So far I'm going strong! How have you been doing? I'm seeing some great check-ins via social media!


2.7 miles & Leaner Legs

Morning workouts are inevitable once class starts...but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Woof.

...because if you don't workout in the morning, you end up waiting until the end of the day when you're tired and not in the mood. 20 min cardio & shoulders. Meh.

So far, so good. Gotta keep it up this weekend - hoping to get OUTSIDE for a run or two and add in some PiYo or Yoga, too. I'm feeling a little tight which contributes to my desire to sleep in until 8 am.

2. Food
Lots of yummy noms this week.


Zucchini noodles with pesto, veggies, and chicken. I plan to go pick up a vegetable spiralizer today so I can make these noodles with chicken breast and this sauce from Andrea @ A Doctor In The House because I have a ridiculous amount of tomatoes hanging out in the fridge!

A typical dinner of leftovers. We don't do fancy here. Crockpot chicken with Frank's Red Hot, veggies, and boiled potatoes with a little cheese (I had macros leftover so I went for it!)

Dessert because it fit my macros :) Quest Bar heated for 15 seconds with Peanut Butter and a handful of chocolate chips! I think the chocolate brownie is my favorite so far.

My favorite breakfast from this week - toast, Wholly Guacamole, sliced tomato, and an egg. Simply, fresh and delicious!

3. Sleep
My sleep schedule has been off for the past few weeks. I remember during the schedule year I had ZERO problems sleeping - even the night before exams. My brain was so exhausted that sleep was easy. Now, I go to sleep and my brain thinks it's go time! I attribute some of my sleep problems to getting married and sharing a bed for the first time! That's a hard adjustment. It also doesn't help that we are traveling back and forth every weekend, sleeping in different places.

I have to stop with the computer/TV/cell phone before bed and start reading more. Anything to calm my crazy brain down. In that respect, I'm so ready for school :) I love sleep! 

4. Weekend/Marriage
This weekend we have ZERO plans. AHHHHHH! Granted, that means we have a lot of administrative tasks to accomplish - the name changing saga continues, search for bedroom furniture, rearrange our living room, finishing thank you notes, - adult stuff. Life is pretty great!

It just dawned on me that Nick proposed a year ago tomorrow! What a crazy, whirlwind year it has been! The proposal story is HERE.

Yikes. 

Thanks Instagram filters. You da bomb!

5. Free Clinic

Last semester I decided to get involved at a local free clinic by volunteering as a clinical assistant. The clinic provides free medical, dental, and social assistance to people in the community. I love their mission and everything they do - EVERY patient deserves to be treated with dignity. We should help as many people in need as we can! 

The clinic is beautiful. I was truly impressed when I first visited. "Free clinic" doesn't generally conjure up mental imagery that would be acceptable to the every day person but I assure you - it looks just like a regular doctor's office (maybe ever better). 

Anyway, in an effort to focus my extracurriculars (I tend to get involved in too many things) I decided to select just a few things this year to be really dedicated to as a supplement to my studies. I decided to run for a position on the Junior Board of the free clinic which is a group of young professionals that help the clinic fundraise and assist in any way they can around the clinic. I really excited to get move involved in the clinic outside of my occasional volunteer shift! 

Working with underserved populations has always been an interest of mine - I think this is one of the reasons I'm drawn to Emergency Medicine. I want to provide care to patients regardless of whether they have insurance or not. Quite frankly, I'd love to see a world where insurance is used as it was intended to be used - for catastrophic illness or disease only. Think of how the price of health care would decrease if we didn't have to file millions of insurance claims, fight with insurance companies to reimburse physicians, pay incredibly high premiums...etc. I think this would be a more realistic, fair way of ensuring everyone has access to care. I'm starting to ramble.

The point is, I'm excited to have this opportunity to get involved in an organization I value and support. You can read more about the clinic on their website

Do you volunteer? What is an issue/cause that is close to your heart?
What are your plans for the weekend?


2 comments:

  1. It's great that you volunteer at the clinic. It's so important to have Doctors that are willing to work with communities that really need it. It's an amazing thing to be able to share that knowledge and gift with people that may be scared to seek treatment due to finances. I see a lot of undergrads that want to pursue medicine but not nearly enough that desire to help all people and/or the underserved. This organization is lucky to have you! PS I'm making the midsummer30for30 happen as best I can ;) But homegirl I need some rest days. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words :) I hope my passion will be reflected in my work as a student and doctor one day.


    I'm so glad you are doing the Midsummer Challenge with us! Just do the best you can :) It's all about making progress and being healthier!

    ReplyDelete