Weigh In Wednesday: July 23 -- Almost there!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014




Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!
Please go check out my sweet co-hosts!

Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction
Erin @ She's A Big Star

The Hump Day Blog Hop
Another Wednesday closer to classes starting again...double woof. I'm ALWAYS excited to go back to school - school supply shopping, getting organized, seeing friends, etc. but sadly I'm just dreading it this year. Who knew being lazy for two months would be so fulfilling? :) That's not to say I sit around doing NOTHING all day, I still have my extracurricular activities in addition the blog, friends, etc. but the relative VAST amount of free time has been beautiful.  

I am looking forward to having some structure back in my life. I thrive most on having a set schedule and admittedly I'm not the best at self-directed motivation. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it! 

Weighing In
Height: 5'8"
SW: 236.2
Last week: 203.6
This week: 201.2
Change: -2.4
Total Loss: -35.0 lbs


This is my MFP journey over the last 3.5 years - I'm about 10 lbs from totally new territory!

So so so close to that magic number! I stayed off the scale all week until Tuesday morning. You know you're addicted to the scale when the impulse to weigh yourself is strong enough to make your irritable and anxious. Whew. I'm happy to be so close to my next goal but I feel like the scale is mocking me. Still though, a 2.4 lb loss after a concert weekend? I'm thrilled. I proved to myself I can have balance -- I can have a few treats as long as I stick to my plan the other 80-90% of the time. It's so liberating! 

One of my friends said something interesting yesterday that I took to heart. She said, "I don't weigh myself. I don't own a scale. I just go by how I feel. If I feel heavier, I go workout and eat healthier. If I feel lighter, I go for ice cream." I LOVE that. Granted, I reckon she is at a healthy weight already but I LOVE hearing from someone that isn't a slave to the scale -- her self-worth isn't determined by a number. I hope to get to that level of intuitive health once I reach a healthy weight for my frame and height. One day, I hope I won't have to count every calorie and log every workout. One day, I just want to operate on the good habits I'm creating now without even thinking about it. 


Happy, happy!


Have you been participating in the Midsummer Shape Up? If not, it's not too late to join us! I'm so proud of everyone that is checking in via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or just private messaging me! 

It's simple - get some physical activity in every day for the next month (ideally 30 minutes or more). Anything you want! Just move.

Before pictures from Sunday. Yikes


I highly recommend taking before/after pictures and measurements if you are participating! I would love to see your progress.

Nick and I already got out workout in for today - we woke up entirely too early and headed to the gym. Once again proved to myself that I'm not a morning gym person (in a concise 5 item list):
  1. Glasses. It's too early to put my contacts in and glasses are incredibly annoying to me, especially with sweat rolling down my face.
  2. Sleep. I don't have the same energy as I do at 8 pm and I'm usually extremely tired after a morning workout - who are these people that feel "energized?"
  3. Bowels. Morning is not a convenient time to be jumping up and down. And that's all I'll say about that.
  4. Gym rats. Apparently the gym is even busier at 5:45 am than it is at 8:00 pm. As an only child who isn't accustomed to "sharing", I'm not a willing participant.
  5. Food. I'm not a big fan of this fasted cardio business and I'm not willing to wake up even earlier to make food and digest it. 
Blah. I guess I'll keep trying. Either that or use the early morning to study/email/blog and then workout later after classes. Maybe it gets better! 


Are you a morning workout person?
Any tips for maximizing the benefits of a morning workout?






23 comments:

  1. Great job on the loss this week, Heather! You are SO close to onederland, you'll be there before you know it!! I am SO not a morning person, evidenced in the fact that I forgot to bring my breakfast to work today and also forgot to give my husband a gift card to pick up the 12 free cupcakes that I ordered to bring in to work tomorrow so he could pick them up today. Damn I hate forgetting thingS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it takes a bit of time for the body to adjust to working out in the morning. I started trying to add in some morning workouts once I started racing so that my body would be prepared on race day to exercise so early. Honestly- I think that the biggest thing is just to do it over and over and get your body used to it. Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! You started at similar stats as me, but you're about 15 pounds lower than me now. Very inspirational :) And I hear you about the morning workouts. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss and sticking with your 30 in 30 goal!

    The end of summer is going to be a real shock to the system for me as well! I have loved being able to get my run in first thing in the morning and then take my time with breakfast and getting cleaned up! I'm going to miss my free time!!

    I try not to weigh myself either...I consider myself to be a healthy size...but sometimes the scale says other wise. It's hard not to get caught up in the number...but sometimes they don't tell the whole story! During my marathon training I have put on 5lbs...but my clothes fit better and I feel better...so I go with that!

    WhatTheHeckWhyNot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for making healthy changes! I'm in weightloss mode too...had my 3rd baby in May and eager to get back to pre-prego size ASAP. I gained a little more than I liked with my 3rd pregnancy (it was my first girl and I hear they can do that to you!) I just started a strict clean eating diet this Monday...I normally eat pretty clean but have always made room for sweets or red wine :-) so I'm cutting those out for a while until I lose the last of the weight. Hope you will follow along my journey at www.thegymbunnyblog.blogspot.com. I also have a lifestyle blog at www.california-to-carolina.com. Look forward to following your journey - found you on Hump Day blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so badly want to be a morning workout person, but I'm with you on the 5 item list with the exception of the contacts... How do people do it?! Great loss this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same height as you and about 30 lbs behind you so reading this is great motivation for me! I have never been a morning person but I am in the process of changing that. I just find that I get a lot more done if I get up early. And mostly I prefer to exercise in the morning because then it's done. And it makes me feel good for the rest of the day :) Regarding the scales: I never used to weigh myself regularly but since I started my program I find it very helpful to get a number every week. I don't obsess about it but it helps me feel more accountable and motivates me when there is a loss. All the people I know who have lost a significant amount of weight say that they continue to use the scales. But I think there is a certain freedom in ditching them and relying on your body wisdom instead. I am new to Weigh-In Wednesday and look forward to being a part of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really excited about your 30 day challenge. You are doing so great :) Every time I read your blog, I just think here is someone that is enjoying life and getting healthy at the same time. I am sure we don't always see all of it, but I just love your posts. I was thinking about the scales and calorie counting thing myself this morning. For me, I honestly don't mind the calorie counting. I just look at it as awareness. I don't really let it dictate whether or not I eat something. I just try to keep myself aware. So I don't mind the idea of counting calories for the rest of my life. My app stores so much, and so by now I don't really have to work to hard at it. I do love the idea of intuitive eating and paying attention to your body. I just think that for me I love food too much to ever be able to do that. You may be able to do that. I think we all have to figure out what works and resonates with us. Sometimes it is worth it to try it and see for yourself if it works for you. In regards to the scales, I realized this morning that I need to view the scales in many ways like calorie counting. I need to view it as simply awareness. It is just a helper in telling me what I usually already know. I just want to look at it more as a tool than as a measurement of my success. That is an area that I want to work on. Anyway, I really appreciate you hosting Wednesday Weigh-In.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great loss this week! I could almost do the same list for why I don't workout in the evenings LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, So I just stumbled upon your blog for the first time. I open it up and I'm like Ooooh pink and glitter, my kind of place. I scroll down and am reading your bio. I'm like Oh Hi, a blonde 20something girl from southern ohio, oh my gosh me too!!! Introvert? yes!!! future fit girl? I sure am trying!! Iced tea, reading, and glitter- all things I love!! Then I scroll down more and see 5'8- Holy Woah I am too!!! Did we just become best friends?!?!?! Then I realize you don't know me! haha Ok, I'm really not as creepy stalker as I just sounded but I will definitely be back! Great job so far!

    xo Krissy @ Sneakers and Sequins

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like working out in the evening. It's kind of my 'me' time and it's the easiest to find someone to watch Harper. :) Great loss this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely a morning exerciser. By the afternoon/evening I am too wiped out to put in a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally agree on the taking before and after pics - always helps as a motivation!! Well done on your weight loss so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great loss this week! When I went to the gym I would go at different times and try to find the time when there was no one there which for some reason seemed to be around 10am and again at 1-2pm. I like working out with hardly anyone around so I stuck to those times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I love working out in an empty gym! I don't like sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to be a morning exerciser one day...two weeks from now I don't think I'll have much of a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are so glad to have you here with us for WIW - hope to see you back tomorrow! I think that's wonderful that you don't "obsess" over the number - I'm trying to get better at not obsessing. Until I get to a healthy weight, I will continue to be a scale watcher :) But it's just part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess I'll have to suck it up eventually :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by! I can't imagine what it's gonna be like to lose baby weight - losing weight is hard enough without little ones to care for too!


    I definitely believe in clean eating but I hope you are also allowing yourself to have treats - I find that makes the process much easier. Be kind to yourself - your body does amazing things!

    ReplyDelete