Weigh In Wednesday: July 16

Wednesday, July 16, 2014




Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!
Please go check out my sweet co-hosts!

Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

 Erin @ She's A Big Star

A weekend wedding - med school style!

*Audible Sigh* Someone please just shoot me or shoot my scale. I'm tired of looking at it. 


Weighing In
Height: 5'8"
SW: 236.2
Last week: 202.4
This week: 203.6
Change: +1.2
Total Loss: -32.2

Another great week ruined by an overindulgent weekend. I'm just so fed up with myself. It's easy to isolate this as a temporary gain - just one week - but in reality, I've been STUCK yo-yoing at this weight for over two months now. I should be WAYYYY past this.  

Despite everything I know, everything I learned, I'm still a slave to the scale. I weigh myself DAILY. Sometimes multiple times a day. For instance, last Friday morning I weighed myself to discover a great loss - I was SO close to my goal. Then on Saturday I weighed myself and I went up a pound despite a great day of eating and working out. Well...I took that as a license to eat whatever. Screw it, doesn't matter what I do, I'm just stuck here. We went to a wedding out-of-town Saturday and out afterward. Sunday we went to out to lunch with a work friend of Nick's and watched the World Cup Final. Totally off the wagon - why? Excuses. Same story different weekend.

Lesson learned, I'm off the scale until next Wednesday - I put it under the sink and will be resisting the urge to obsess.

Despite my obsession with the scale, I still feel like I'm making good progress. My clothes are fitting better than they have in years. I bought a dress from The Limited two years ago and was FINALLY able to fit into this weekend. I wore a dress to the wedding Saturday that barely passed as acceptable this time last year. I feel stronger, I'm running faster, I'm able to complete Turbo Fire workouts that I never could finish before. Things ARE changing. I just wish I could SEE it instead of just FEEL it. Does that even make sense???


Nick (and my Mom, etc) tell me I'm too hard on myself. It's that perfectionist attitude - I'm either going to do it right or not at all. Very black and white and very dangerous for weight loss and health. I need balance, I need moderation. Slowly I have to start using these "non-scale victories" to judge my progress more than the scale. When I do use the scale, I CANNOT allow myself to react emotionally. Am I the only one doing this?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enough about the scale. *bitting my thumb at you, scale* Now for something more exciting! 

The summer is halfway over and if you're like me, you've had plenty of excuses when it comes to reaching your fitness goals - weddings, picnics, family time, and more. 

Let's stop focusing on the negative and spend an ENTIRE month consistently making time for exercise, healthy, mindful eating, & stress reduction!

I hope you will join me - I certainly need the accountability, support, and motivation. We START MONDAY, JULY 21 and END AUGUST 19 (although it won't really "end"...this is just the beginning!). Let's check in via social media using the hashtag #midsummer30for30

Leave a comment below telling me if you're in and feel free to email me with your ideas and questions - prettystrongmedicine@gmail.com. I'd be happy to suggest a workout program, meal plan options, or anything you need! We can do this together.

If I notice people are being especially active in the challenge, I will be awarding a few random prizes - samples of Shakeology, a bonus DVD workout (PiYo, anyone?), and who knows what else! 


Are you in? 

11 comments:

  1. I too have been a slave to the scale and hovering around the same 10 lbs for the last year. Hiding the scale is a great idea, I think I need to do that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the yoyo feeling and the black and white thinking. We can get past this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the midsummer idea! I am so in!! Also it's so important to track non-scale victories too- sometimes the scale doesn't show the differences in our bodies, and fitting into a dress you haven't fit into in years is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to join the mid summer challenge!!! Thanks for hosting! I don't tweet but will definitely be posting my hashtags on the ole facebook!!! It's a great time to just recommitment especially with all the weekend shenangins!!! Hitting up the farmers market with all the lovely fruit has been helping me a lot! Fruit is my new snack instead of all the summer baked treats, chips, and other bad deliciousness. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are always harder on ourselves...I think that's just a fact of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way as you. I weigh myself daily. I do my best not to let it be an excuse to eat whatever I want. My hope is that I make it the motivation to do better if I gain, and keep on going if I lose. It works for me, for the most part.


    I'll take part in your summer challenge. I'm already doing one for July, and I'll be doing one for August at work (for $$!) so I should have no problem doing yours too! Haha! So far, I've done something active for 30 minutes for the last 16 days straight. It IS possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in! I weigh myself every morning when I wake up. I used to weight myself every morning and every night. I even got to the point where I was only weighing myself once a week because I was getting obsessed with it. So far once a day is working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tied the scale to my happiness my entire life. Yes, it's an important way to monitor progress . . . but it's only one way. It sounds like you are kicking ass anyways. It is frustrating but remember that the scale is only ONE part of the process. I've had to hide my scale in the past and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the scale. I GET THE SCALE! UGH! I do the same thing as you. It's ridiculous.


    Also, totally in for the challenge! Thanks for sharing darling!!!! :)


    Finally, LOVE YOUR DRESS! You must tell me where you got it. It's beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. I just stumbled across your blog because of Ashley's and A Step in the Right Direction. I am in a close weight range of 209 right now and I completely understand the scale issue. I have been trying to keep it to once a week and I may push it out to every 30 days. Anyhow, I am totally in with your midsummer shape up challenge. It sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I'm a pre-med student studying for my MCAT's, which I take August 21st! This sounds like a perfect way to stay active while studying.

    ReplyDelete