An Engagement Story: The Proposal

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thank you for all the social media love and comments on my announcement this weekend! You all are the best :)

It's time for our engagement story! Here we go!  

Nick and I had plans to go to dinner with his parents on Friday night at a brewery in downtown Cincinnati, so I met him at their house after he got off work.


My outfit - The one time my hair is straight and I hated it! UGH
We sat around for a little while enjoying some appetizers and talking before it was time to go to dinner. Nick's mom suggested we stopped at a fundraiser for Honor Flight on the way downtown because their family knows the band playing and she's a big fan. 

The fundraiser was being held at a bar that Nick and I had never been to but have passed by A LOT in the past six years driving to each other's houses. Once we arrived, we ordered more appetizers and drinks. Soon more members of Nick's family and friends started showing up. I didn't suspect anything out of the ordinary partly because I thought Nick's mom had invited them to join us since she liked the band. I'm also completely oblivious half the time. (I was also in a not so great mood for reasons I'm not going to disclose. To say the least, my mind was elsewhere but I was trying to have fun.)

We continued talking and hanging out, enjoying the choregraphed line dancing going on on the dance floor (how did they all know the same dance?) - it wasn't even line dance music. I digress. 

Nick said his dad had put our names in for raffle prizes so we had to stay later. Again, I didn't think anything of it. We had looked at the raffle prizes early but nothing struck my eye and neither of us had cash with us - how nice of him! 

Later on the fundraiser helpers (IDK what to call them?) said they were going to start choosing raffle prize winners. Well guess what? They called my name! 

So I walked to the stage to get my prize. I hadn't been listening to what the prize was so I was a little puzzled as I was walking up. When I got to the stage the woman announcing the prize winners said, "Actually I don't have your prize, but I think Nick does."

That's when I turned around and Nick was behind me with a ring box, on his knee, and asked he me to MARRY him! 



Of course I said YES!!!!! and then the band started playing. I wish I remembered the song but I have no clue what it was. I was too excited and surprised! We danced and talked and cried. I couldn't have been happier! I didn't even notice the ring until we got back to our friends and family.



The ring. It's gorgeous! It wasn't at all what I had pictured (or pinned on Pinterest) but I love it wayyyy more than anything I had in mind. I could tell that Nick was really thoughtful in his choice and had picked something so unique and beautiful. The band is amazing with beaded detail - absolute perfection!


Our first engaged couple kiss!
The rest of the night was a blur of hugs and congratulations. Nick's mom even bought a veil and tiara for me to wear which was the icing on the cake! (I'm a princess, duh). We never ended up going to dinner that night but it was still a blast! I was so happy to be surrounded by family and friends. Everyone he was going to propose (including some of my friends, my mom, and all my family)!  

So here we are...a few days later and I'm still so incredibly excited and filled with love. Who would've thought that two 16 year olds would end up getting married one day? I knew early on that I wanted to get married to Nick but I  never thought the day would ever come. I thought we'd be dating FOREVER!



I am the luckiest girl in the world! And I want my money back from the psychic that told me I would be getting engaged in October. (We got engaged a day later...RUDE)

As for planning, that will have to wait a bit. I want to get adjusted with school and our new living arrangement. I'm not at all looking forward to moving further away from Nick but I have no doubt that things will work out just fine. 

For now I'm going to continue to do research and work on the more vague parts of planning. We know we want a full Catholic Mass and I have pretty much narrowed down the ceremony site (provided we can get it!). I also want to shoot for a fall wedding but I won't be able to figure that out until I get my year 2 schedule at orientation next week! Any med students out there married during the fall/not in the summer? 

The most important detail for me right now is getting in dress shopping shape! I'm planning to try on dresses over Thanksgiving Break (also when I'll be running my first or second 10K) so that gives me four months to continue to get lean and mean! If ever I need motivation to eat clean and train hard, all I have to do is look at my left hand. :) 

I'm excited for what the future holds for us! It's been a wild 6+ years and I can't wait for AT LEAST 60 more!

Thank you all for your support and congratulations! I can't wait to share our journey with you!



**Make sure you check out my guest post on College.Crazy.Life. about What I Learned In College! I still have vivid memories of football tailgates, grabbing lunch in the dining hall, and dancing in gross fraternity basements. WHEW! **

46 comments:

  1. Congrats! The proposal story is so adorable :) like I said before, I love your ring. I'm looking forward to seeing your wedding dress choices. Such a sweet story; I guess you are high school sweethearts?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. new follower here! (found you for the blog hop tomorrow!)...what a GREAT way to get introduced to you! I'm so happy for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great story and what a great guy to do all that planning! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ring! Congrats! I loved planning a wedding - Have fun and don't get too stressed :) I love the story too :) Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest engagement story ever! I got engaged last May and we won't be getting married until next May. It has been nice to have a lot of time to get inspired and to plan! Gorgeous ring- I think every girl thinks she knows what she wants, but doesn't really know until its on her finger. Congrats girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful ring! So unique!


    PS, You are the smartest dresser ever! I love all your clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your engagement! How perfect! I'll be hosting a wedding link up next month sharing engagement stories. Be sure to check back with us and share this wonderful story again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOSH I AM SO SO SO SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Getting engaged is something I have been fantasizing about the last 3 years lol!!!!! (p.s. he accidently dropped a hint and I think it may happen for me sometime in october!!!) I also am OBSESSED with your ring and its GORGEOUS!!! My ring will be nowhere that huge or glamorous but OH my goodness its so pretty! I can't wait to read all about your wedding planning!
    xoxoxo
    Dani
    www.thatfitnesschic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, congrats! Such a cute proposal and such a beautiful ring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!! So happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really cute! I feel like I blacked out during my engagement. My mind was so stunned, my brain couldn't process memory. LOL Your ring is gorgeous! If you ever need a wedding planner, let me know. Mine was AMAZING and she can work to do out of town work!


    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATSSSS!!! Eeeeek that's so exciting! (You guys have been together since you were 16?! That's ADORABLE!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute proposal! Congrats again. :) Summer weddings are probably easiest in med school (and that's when most people do it), but of course you have to do what works best for you. Good luck with the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! What a great proposal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela@Honey I Shrunk the MomJuly 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM

    What a beautiful ring! And what a sweet proposal story, too. :) And for the record, I think you look great with your hair straightened.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHHH! im so happy and excited for you! the ring is AMAZING, i LOVE it. its so unqiue.. i hope i get engaged to someone so good at ring shopping ahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!! That ring is so pretty! He did a great job and i love the proposal story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh how exciting! And congratulations to you lady! I'm so happy for you and your sweet fella :) Have fun with all the planning, and just don't stress it too much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. CANNOT WAIT TO RUN THAT 10K WITH YOU HOOKER! You look so happy and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! Exciting-- Your guy deserves an A+ for having this well planned and picking a beautiful ring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amy@medicineandmartinisJuly 31, 2013 at 8:24 AM

    Congrats!! Great story and can't wait to hear all about the planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

    Thank you! Yes, high school sweethearts set up by my MOM! I need to write a post or two about all that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

    Glad to have you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

    He did a great job! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

    Thank you! I love planning anything so I think this will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM

    Thank you, Cassidy, and congratulations on your engagement as well! I would love to wait until my 3rd year of medical school so I could potentially take a vacation month for the wedding but that just leaves too much up to uncertainty. I'm going to be planning like a crazy woman here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

    Thanks, Shannon! I love it so much :)


    haha I steal a lot of things out of my mom's closet. I don't know what I'll do without someone to borrow from soon. My roommate at school is a skinny chick. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

    I would love to participate! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

    Thanks, Dani! Believe me, I've been fantasizing about my wedding for soooooo long!


    I hope your engagement comes soon and that you let him surprise you :) I'm sure the ring will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

    Thanks, Samantha! He did such a good job - I think I'll keep him now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

    Thanks, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

    Haha that's the perfect way to describe it! I totally blanked for half the night and I forgot to get pictures with everyone there!


    I wish I could have a wedding planner but it probably won't be in the budget. Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know if anything changes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM

    Thank you! Yes, it's been a long time! We were babies!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

    Thanks, girl! Ugh I always thought I'd want a summer wedding but I just love fall. September and October are my favorite months and totally go with my mental color scheme/theme but it probably won't happen! Darn you, medical school!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

    Thanks, Lindsay! He really did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

    Thanks, Angela! He did awesome! My hair looks pretty good in that picture but it just gets goofy looking throughout the night :) I have A LOT of hair on top of that!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

    Aw, thanks Bailey! He really surprised me. I wasn't picturing that ring at all but I'm happy its so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

    Thanks, Rachel! Everyone is stroking his ego. He'll love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

    Thanks, girl! Planning will be such a blast, I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

    ME TOO! Thanks, Marcy! I better be ready for dress shopping by then!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

    Thanks, Brandy! I think so too. I couldn't be happier!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

    Thank you, Amy! I can't wait to start planning and sharing it here. Hopefully y'all can give me some solid advice!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That sounds like an awesome story :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is such a beautiful story! Congrats girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love that you had no idea! Your fiance gets major points for creativity... and it's so special that his family was there! My fiancé
    and I are also newly engaged. We both love a good love story and believe these
    special moments should be shared. I think your story is amazing and would love
    for you to share it on our website http://ourengagementstory.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great story!!! I love that you have your reaction picture forever, how special!!! I love a romantic story and I love that you were completely oblivious to it all, even better. Wow, I i love everything...lol. Your first kiss picture is also so sweet, you can see that you 2 are in love.
    Gorgeous ring by the way;)

    ReplyDelete