Weigh In Wednesday: July 17

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pretty Strong Medicine


button

Hello everybody! Welcome to Weigh-In Wednesday!

Please go check out my sweet co-hosts & make sure to say hi!



Bailey @ Being Bailey J
Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

Update: I weighed in at the same weight this week. No change in two weeks. Honestly, with the wedding and Atlanta, I'm not shocked. This weekend I'm going to Chicago for a girls weekend with my friends from school. Luckily, my friend who is hosting us is a vegan so she tends to keep things pretty healthy. I'm going to do my best to not indulge too much. Plus, most of my friends are  runners so I'm sure we'll get some activity in! I will be sharing my weight very soon. I have a specific goal in mind and then I will be completely transparent. I'm just not there yet. Hate it or love it but that' what happened when I shared this blog too soon with people I know. 

I got the bright idea the other day to try a juice cleanse in order to "reset" my healthy eating - just for a day since I've never done a cleanse like this. I've read a lot about the Suja juices and others but every single cleanse is SUPER expensive. I headed to Whole Foods and bought a couple different juices. They didn't have all the ones for the Suja cleanse so I replaced the green juices with Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness juice. The schedule was as follows:

7:30 am Hot Water & Lemon
8:30 am Pineapple & Cucumber juice
10:45 am Suja Purify
1:00 pm Bolthouse Green Goodness
3:00 pm Suja Master Cleanse
4:30 Green Tea
6:00 Bolthouse Green Goodness
7:00 Suja Vanilla Cloud

+ Lots of Water


Didn't get a picture of the other two. Overall, the cleanse was AWESOME. It was just what I needed. I would drink these everyday if I could....


Ummmm...just kidding. It was awful. Let me preface by saying that I love fruits and veggies and I even love juice (although I never drink it) but these were NOT for me. This is all I could drink before I was basically gagging it down...


Obviously since I didn't even finish the juices, I wasn't getting enough calories. I made it until after my run at seven or so and then I had to eat some protein packed food. (It wasn't good from me, either. Follow me on MyFitnessPal if you want to know :) heawhita). My body was CRAVING something other than juice. I don't know if it was the particular brand, the types of juices, or that it just isn't for me but I won't be doing anything like this again.

This is the type of stuff I used to do when I was in junior high and high school when I had very unhealthy weight loss habits. I'm not saying cleanses are "bad" but I'm saying they are bad for me at this stage of the game. I'm still reforming my eating habits so something this extreme is just not good for me. 

I'm done with cleanses and quick fixes. I'm done with trying to take shortcuts. From now on, it's all about clean eating, treats in moderation, and challenging workouts. I was talking to Nick about this and he put it perfectly, "Why don't you just focus on making healthy decisions instead of worrying about cleanses and shit...or as the Cheerios bee says 'Be Happy, Be Healthy.'" Leave it to a man to give it to you straight, right? So lesson learned. Moving on.

Yesterday while I was drinking gross juice and dreaming about picnic foods, I started my Couch to 10K app that I bought. It's 14 weeks long but I'm starting at Week 5, Day 1 since I already did C25K. I'm also following the Hal Higdon plan *loosely*. The problem for both is the mileage is so low for the first few weeks (like 1.5-2 miles) and I feel like that's a waste of a workout (for me) so I end up doing my own thing. Whatever, at least I'm moving! I'll be complaining when it has me doing anything over 4 miles. (I'm still not running the whole thing but I'm getting there...it's hot!) 


I never thought I'd enjoy running but here I am! I just signed up for my first "big" 5K in Indianapolis which I'm pretty excited about. Some of my classmates are going to be running the mini and the 5K so I'll finally have some people to run with! If you're in the Indy area, check it out. Ladies only! 







22 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of juicing or juice cleanses; I think it's all a myth. Plus, juicing pretty much gets rid of all the good stuff (like fibre). No good!

    Good luck with your 5K training! You're going to have lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could ever do a cleanse either. My body would be like, "Where's the beef?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for doing the 5k!!!!! That sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn BaumgartenJuly 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM

    Such good advice from the boy! I almost was hoping your juice cleanse was an awesome success story, because I'm currently needed something (anything!) to bust outta this plateau. But if it's not sustainable (as juice cleanses aren't), than it's probably not the right way to lose weight. Even though it'd be so much easier! Damnit, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck for the 5K, I've been talking about doing one more and more lately. I love to hear about others signing up for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. juice cleanses can be hard, especially if you are working out pretty hard. I have done a couple of cleanses before but not a full on juice cleanse. I have heard that if you actually make the juices yourself it fills you up and satisfies you better than the bottled stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree.... Juice cleanses are not sustainable. I'm just going to stick to eating right and working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing a 10K app right now too! I'm at the end of week 5. I haven't run for a long time so it was a good start for me even though the first couple weeks were pretty easy... I'm planning on running my first 10K in September. A marathon is on my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so proud of you, you running vixen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw those suja cleanses at Whole Foods. I've done a Ritual Cleanse and it wasn't super bad, but man i love food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. avoid cleanses and juicing... they really don't do much and we were taught to advise against them in med school. Just eat healthy and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This non-veggie loving girl tried and it REALLY didn't go well either haha! I did take pretty pics of the juicing, but didn't get much farther haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Running is so freeing, I'm glad it's what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

    You are so right! I'd rather have a smoothie so I can get all the fiber benefits. No more cleanses!

    Thanks! I'm enjoying the training so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

    My body just wanted to chew something, anything! I need the sensation of chewing to feel full I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

    Yeah, I'm done with all the quick fixes. It's not gonna work. I think instead of doing something drastic, it's better to make small choices that add up. At least that's what I'm hoping will work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

    Yeah, I feel my workouts are too hard and I burn too many calories to do a juice cleanse barely clearing 1200 cals a day. I'm sure homemade juices are soooo much better for you. I have a juicer but I don't like how time consuming it is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

    That's so awesome! I'm working on the beginning of week 6 (skipped a few weeks ahead). Good luck with your training! I never thought a marathon would be on my bucket list but I'm starting to think it might be :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

    Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

    I love food too much. I need to be a well-adjusted skinny girl the next time I try again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

    Well if medical school advises again cleanses, that's good enough reasoning for me! :) haha seriously, juicing just complicates things. food all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

    I'm glad it finally stuck this time. I've tried and failed a few times before.

    ReplyDelete