Weight In & Workout Wednesday July 10

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pretty Strong Medicine


button
Hello everybody! Welcome back to Weigh-In Wednesday!



If you are new around here, please go check out my sweet co-hosts & make sure to say hi! 

Amy @ Write This Down
Bailey @ Being Bailey J
Ash @ A Step in the Right Direction

I'm also linking up with Skinny Meg with an actual workout for Workout Wednesday! (I hear we are calling her PregMeg these days...CONGRATULATIONS!) I love living vicariously through other people's baby happiness and after reading her fertility story, I couldn't be more happy for her!

So this week has been a slow one. Not bad and not good. I'm hoping that at least translates to no gain. I've been a little lax on my eating habits but nothing outrageous. I feel like even if I make a poor choice, I don't over do it portion wise. I have a few bites and I'm satiated which is a stark contrast from my prior habits. Yay for little victories!

Only 90 calories...it could be worse! (Cool Lime Refresher)
I just started Hal Higdon's 5K Training Program and I'm focusing on working my way up to running the whole damn 5K this time - aka learning to pace myself. The speed will come with working intervals and cross training. So far, so good. On an unrelated note, girl needs some Invisalign, stat. My two front toofers are driving me nuts (PSA: wear your retainer!).

I'm a sweaty mess...and I did a thumbs up. LAME.
I'm headed to Atlanta this weekend so I'm not sure how much blogging I'm going to be doing. The good news is that when I come home, I'll be back to my grandma sleep schedule with no more work until school starts in mid-August. I plan on getting very familiar will all the posts I've been neglecting! (This is provided that Nick and I don't kill each other in the 18 hours or so that we will be in a car.)


*Switching Lanes* So I'm writing this on Tuesday and if you read today's post you know it was my last night of work. Well last night. Whatever... I've been excited for MONTHS. Counting down the weeks, days, even HOURS and all of a sudden I'm really really sad. Like bawling sad. The couple I've been taking care of are just plain amazing. They've treated me like family from the beginning and the guy even gave me a signed copy of one of his autobiographies to remember them by. We will be staying in touch through letters and emails. 

My year off is swiftly coming to an end and everything is starting to hit me like a ton of bricks all at once. I'm leaving home for good in a month - like I won't be a resident of Ohio anymore. I'm MOVING to Indiana, not just moving in to the sorority house. It's different in a weird way. 

Like I've said before, aside from my family and Nick's family there isn't a whole lot left for me here in Cincinnati - at least not right now. I'm happy to be closer to my friends, to be near my alma mater, and to finally be starting my long medical training. I guess it's the realization of how much has changed in only a year that has me being all sorts of ridiculous. Bear with me loves, I just need a good cry or six.
Everyone has a cry face & this might be mine...ok, not really.
*Reverse, Reverse* To round out Wednesday, I thought I'd share a quick little workout that is becoming one of my favorite ways make my fat cry - tabata! HIIT workouts are amazing because you can be super efficient by getting the same (or better) results in a shorter amount of time! Be warned - they are TOUGH and you shouldn't do HIITs back-to-back and certainly not more than a couple times a week. Your body needs time to rest and repair.

I got the idea for this workout - the Love/Hate Tabata - because there are moves that I absolutely DREAD doing. Like when we have to do Burpees at boot camp, I secretly want to shoot laser beams out of my eyes. 

Life doesn't work like that. We have to take the good with the bad so I decided to counter every hateful move with something I could do until I'm blue in the face, like squats. Here are my loves and hates!


I hope you all like this one! I'll let you know how it goes when I try it this week (whoops...I guess I'll find out how hard it is soon). If you don't want to worry about timing, there are a bunch of FREE tabata timer apps out there. I will be posting a list of my favorite fitness apps in the near future, btw! Link up and make some new blog frands!

Now some questions for you:
Tell me one good thing & one bad thing about your weigh in week.
Have you been to Atlanta? What should I check out?
How do you stay motivated on vacation?
What are your love/hate moves?

22 comments:

  1. Have fun in Atlanta pretty lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are leaving on Friday for a week long vacation and I am making myself log all my food while we are gone. I also just started Combat and love it so much that I am taking it with me. That for sure will keep me accountable. Also, I hate burpees too. We did 4 straight minutes of them during power hiit last night and I wanted to kill the people on the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Atlanta! Have fun though! :)
    My weight went down this week--yay! But I was really hoping to get under 200 and it's 200.4! Ugh! I'll take it though. I never really go on vacations, but I do feel it's hard to stay on track. Plan, Plan, Plan. I think I would do much better on vacation this time around (uh except for beer) because I am so motivated this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some Tabata!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT ATTACHED A HUGE PCTURE OF MY FACE GAH! SORRY LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with it being all about the little victories! They add up! Thanks for posting the link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

    Thank you, friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

    I'm not sure how I'll do at logging but I'll give it a shot too! What is Combat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

    Thanks and congrats on your loss! That just means you'll hit Onderland next week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

    That's perfectly fine! I love your face :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

    Totally right! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will preach the retainer thing too! I have one tooth the orthodontist did not attach to my permanent retainer! It has definitely moved :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the pairing idea. I fucking hate burpees and I'd like to go the rest of my life without doing them ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The official name is Les Mills Combat! It is an in home training program that takes several different types of martial arts and mixes them together. It is really fun and really empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your crazy face! Haha! I was just considering some Invisalign for myself since my orthodontist said I could stop wearing my retainers. Bust, old man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy @Write this DownJuly 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

    Tabata does kill fat. I should do more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I usually post my weekly updates on Sunday or Monday. Can I still join Weigh in Wednesdays?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

    Ugh! It's so they can get more money out of us! I had no clue I was supposed to get a new retainer like once a year so my old one is gone now and I have nothing on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

    Burpees were created by the devil, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM

    It's all for the money, honey. He wanted to get you later down the road with more orthodontic costs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM

    Me too - less time and more efficient but HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heather Pretty Strong MedicineJuly 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

    Absolutely! Just link your post up with us. We'd love to have you! Spread the word :)

    ReplyDelete