Summer Kickoff Virtual 5K Link Up

Tuesday, June 11, 2013




Hey Popsicles!
Today I'm linking up with Kristine @ Heart Shaped Sweat for her virtual 5K.  She is just plain awesome and so inspiring! Go check her out, along with the other 5K participants!

You can read my blog post about my experience here.  This was my first official 5K. I don't count The Color Run or a local 5K I did in college. I didn't train or run those.  


I ended up with a time of 36:58 which was under my goal of 40:00 minutes. My pace was about 11:56 which included about 35% walking, 65% running - I didn't run the whole thing but that's my next goal.  Hopefully by my next race I can get under 11:30 min and run the whole time.  Small progress!

I was nervous before...so awkward selfie is warranted.
One reason I was able to get in under my original goals was because of my music and adrenaline!  I started out wayyyy too fast and burnt out despite all the advice I read about not doing that... 

Here's the playlist I used!  Some oldies and some goodies since I like a little mix of everything.  Kiss You by One Direction is my power song.  I don't know why...it just makes me run faster!  


5K Playlist from prettystrongmedicine.com

There's one song on here that you probably don't recognize.  This Is Indiana.  Shameless plug for my school...how can you watch this and not be an IU fan? 



I decided to make a new goal.  I'm going to run a race once a month for the rest of the year!  Here is my tentative plan.  If you will be running any of these or have other suggestions, let me know!  I'm so excited :)

upcoming 5K/10K races


These dates/races are subject to change. I tried to schedule around my exam schedule but a few of these occur right before or right after an exam so I may have to switch things around. I at least want to get a few more 5Ks in and definitely the Thanksgiving Day Race.  The rest will be extra!

So I guess you can say my first 5K experience was very positive since I want to keep going. Even though I'll probably never be some elite runner, I know I have a new hobby just for me that doesn't involve Netflix or copious amounts of glitter.

I'm only putting this up to prove I was there...I look disgusting. Sweaty gross hurr
I wasn't all that athletic growing up (hand-eye coordination is a foreign concept for me) so running and working out make me feel like an athlete.  I can train for something and actually see progress, even though I'm just in the beginning stages.

Who am I kidding, though?  I just want the T-Shirt...


22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this being your first 5k and finishing under your goal time! Awesome playlist, too!

    My 5K Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing your playlist! I always love adding new songs to my list to motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! It's hard to find fun playlists. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Way to go girl!!! You did awesome! Sounds like you caught the running bug :)) Love your playlist, I'm totally stealing songs off it for my next run! I def need some fresh tunes. I like the way running makes me feel too. I may not be the fastest at it but I feel good doing it and like to feel my progress between runs too! I'm so happy for you and thrilled you joined the virtual 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...totally caught the running bug!

      Thanks so much for hosting the V5K, Kristine! You are so inspiration and fun! I hope there are more to come.

      Delete
  4. way to go! I'm training for a 5k right now. I did two half-marathons last year, and then I stopped running. As much as I hated training for the half marathons (well, only when I had to do the LONG runs), I realized how much I really missed running. SO I decided to do smaller races this year and move up to 10Ks next year to continue my running. Unless I'm signed up for a race, I don't run, so races motivate me to keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow two half marathons? That's amazing...I'm a long way off from that!

      Good luck with your training! As I was running the 5K I was totally wondering to myself "how does anyone run longer than this?" hopefully I'll get there someday!

      Delete
  5. Yay!, good job! So not only are we both "Heather" but I am also a Hoosier, born and raised. Ha what are the odds of that? I have never heard the entire "This is Indiana" song. Ha hilarious that it is on your playlist!

    Good job again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I love meeting new Hoosiers! I feel more like a Hoosier and less of a Buckeye these days :)

      I love the song...my whole college career centered around our basketball team. I love them!

      Delete
  6. You did awesome! I would love to do the Jingle Bell run in Indy, but I'm going to a concert that night. I may have to check out some of those runs you listed though, I'm just down I 65.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job! You should be very proud of yourself! Good schedule of races, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great finishing time and average! Way faster than I'll be able to do on my 4th of july 5k! And props to you for wanting to do another one every month......I loathe running haha. It's something I do for the progress I can actually see and feel, and I hope to one day enjoy it a little bit haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally used to hate running. I wouldn't say I'm in love with it right now either...I'd rather be laying in bed watching a movie or something along those lines but I enjoy the time to think and have "me time."

      I'm sure you'll do great on your 5K!

      Delete
  9. I don't see the Mid-Summer Night's Run on your list - August 2 @ 7:30 pm!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do 1 5K a month and I love it, it really keeps you on your toes and accountable to keep running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I'm doing it or else I'lll totally slack!

      Delete
  11. Hey awesome job on your running progress! I'm running the Rocket Man in Loveland too! :)

    ReplyDelete