Sunday Social Linkup & My 1st 5K

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hey Popsicles!  I had a super exciting weekend - I ran my first 5K!  (well...I ran-walked but I finished!)  I'm going to be linking up with Heart Shaped Sweat for the Virtual 5K on June 11th so look for a fun post about my experience then!  


I was really, really proud of my time!  My goal when I started training was to be under 40 minutes.  I think I started out with a 15 minute mile (granted, I was walking most of the time at the beginning of Couch to 5K).  

My first 5K!
My unofficial results from my Nike + app
My official time was 36:58 minutes and an average pace of 11:56/mile. This is huge for me. But it also gives me a lot of room for improvement.  Had I stuck to my training program religiously, I think I could've run the whole thing or at least most of it. I'd say I ran about 65%, walked 35%.  I made a classic rookie mistake - I let the excitement and pump-up music push me to run faster in the beginning.  I burnt out too quickly!  
My official results!  Nick was nice enough to point out that I got beat by a 9 year old and a 59 year old
Honestly, I'm just glad I did it.  I think I've said it a million times now - I'm not a runner.  At least, I wasn't before.  Now I want to be. I loved seeing people of all different ages, shapes, and sizes getting together to achieve the same goal. I loved the feeling of crossing the finish line - it made me want more.  I want to keep improving and challenging myself.  I'm in the process of finding a 5K to run in July.  My next goal is to run the whole thing!  

My first 5K - Redlegs 5K

As for the rest of the weekend, it was relaxing and very chill.  I finally had Friday off work which is the first time in what feels like months and I slept at home two nights in a row!  AHHHHH. 

Now, I'm trying to recover. I'm a lot more sore than I expected to be - everything is aching including my back and shoulders.  I have so much cleaning and picking up, grocery shopping and meal prep, and workout planning to do today.  Really, I just want a nap.  Hopefully I can fit everything in before work!

I thought it would be fun to do a quick link up with everyone through Sunday Social at A Complete Waste of Makeup. I love reading her blog and I love answering questions so what a perfect combination!  Happy one year for this link-up!

Sunday Social


1. What is your favorite Social Media outlet?  
I used to love Facebook - not so much anymore.  Now it's either Twitter or Instagram.  I never tweet on my personal account but I love connecting with people on my blog account!

2. Do you subscribe to any daily news reads? If so which ones? 
I love Skimm - they send you a summary of the daily news. I also use Bloglovin' to follow my favorite medical journals and websites like KevinMD.com, Medscape, and New England Journal of Medicine.
3. Favorite Magazine to have by the pool? 
Glamour, Cosmopolitan, Shape, Self, & Rebook
4. Favorite summertime song? 
Drunk on You - Luke Bryan & Summertime - Kenny Chesney
5. Best Summer concert you’ve been to? 
Hands down - Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney last summer (2012) at Paul Brown Stadium.  Grace Potter & The Nocturals and Jake Owen also performed and it was one of the most fun times I can remember.  They were amazing!

12 comments:

  1. Good job on your first 5k! I'm known to walk/run too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, especially for your first 5K! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouh im jealous of that councert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best! I was really underwhelmed with Tim this year...hopefully Kenny will still be good :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your first 5K! I ran my first 10K a few weeks ago and I, like you, want to be a runner now, because of the camaraderie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! Rock on with your bad self...a 10K? That's awesome! You're right! I love how runners are always supporting each other, regardless of their abilities. We all had to start somewhere.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your run. I did my grocery shopping, meal and fitness prep for the week today, too! Saw you on the link up come say hi sometime! Xoxo.

    Liz
    www.fitnessblondie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Liz! I actually ended up slacking today and I'm going to do groceries and meal prep tomorrow afternoon. Whoops!

      Delete
  6. You did fantastic on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing how mental running is. Two years ago I would have told you that I would NEVER be a runner and now I run 4 days per week.

    Cheers to you and your awesome 5k! It only gets better from here :)

    www.herecomeshealthylittleme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete